5 Best Camping Cots You Will Love-Ultimate Buying Guide
Camping cot is one of the most crucial and handy gear you will need during your Camping adventures. Myriads of online stores are offering different designs and types of Camping cots, each featuring its own little advantage.
You will find them in a variety of styles- as a simple metal frame design to the ones that imitate a bed featuring mattresses and some sort of suspension.
Best camping cots are the ones that provide a solid heavy-duty sleeping platform, allow easy set up and do not feel too stiff to sleep on.
Let’s have a look at a Comprehensive Buying Guide that will help you with the purchase of Camping Cots.
Different Types of Camping Cots?
1. End-Bar Camping Cots
As name suggests, such Camping Cots boast a design of X-shaped legs on each side of the cot. Such design is intended to make folding process much easier and quick.
2. Constant Support Camping Cots
These types of Camping Cots have rectangular-shaped legs spread out all throughout the cot to provide better support and comfort.
Advantages of Using Camping Cots:
Now, there are quite a few benefits of using Camping cots, all aimed to make your Camping experience much more comfortable and enjoyable. To delineate a few:
- It mimics the design of a bed, hence for those of you who are camping for more than 5 to 6 days, would certainly love the comfortable idea of a Camping Cot.
- Tiny Critters or bugs in your camping tent are like a terrifying thought for many of us, especially for kids. A camping cot will keep you off ground, so you can calm your anxieties of being near any of such bugs. Moreover, your back will also be saved from rough and bumpy terrains.
- People who have issues getting up or down, meaning, someone with knee or joint pains, etc. can really find camping cots much easier and comfy to rest.
- Camping tent is quite compact and confined, so a cot acts as a good space-saving alternative, underneath which, you can store different items to make your tent look more open and spacious.
- Not just for outdoors, even when guests arrive at your home, you can make use of a camping cot to accommodate them.
Disadvantages of Using Camping Cots:
As amusing as the idea of a Camping cot sounds, it does have some shortcomings. Some of which are:
- More feature-packed a camping cot is, the heavier is its design. Even the ones with the aluminum frame are somewhat heavy. So, the hikers might not prefer them for backpacking, a sleeping pad or a mat would be much better in such cases.
- Almost all of the camping cots fold down for compact storage, yet many of them might still be space-eating or not fit easily in small car trunks.
- Many of them are too high and seem to be uncomfortable for smaller camping tents.
- Heavier camping cot might need more than one person for setting it up.
- Although camping cots come with fairly comfortable fabric on top like Polyester, some of us might still feel it to be too stiff or can experience sore back. They are not as comfy as a sleeping pad or air bed.
Video From Youtube Camping Cot - How to Set up Camping Cot Therm
Quick Comparison: 5 Best Camping Cots
TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot
Coleman 2000020271 ComfortSmart Cot
Coleman 2000020273 80 x 32-Inches Pack-Away Cot
Coleman Comfortsmart Deluxe Cot
Easy Cot, Portable Folding Cot by Byer of Maine
Things To Consider Before Buying Camping Cots:
Not just the weight of the Camping cot, you also need to consider your own body weight. You do not want it to sag or loosen up because of your heavyweight. Whereas, too light camping cots might wobble or make creaky noises whenever you switch sides.
Just like weight, there are two factors you need to consider in size, i.e. your body size and the size of the camping cot.
If you are above 6’, make sure the cot is long enough to capably accommodate your body, you do not want to tuck away your feet all night. Not just length, also consider the width and height of the cot, as you do not want your shoulders to hang outside the cot’s frame
Try to avoid the cot that features cotton top. Cotton tends to soak up water and takes longer time to dry. Camping cot’s fabric is usually rated in ‘D’, meaning, Denier. Higher is this number, more durable and high-quality will be the cot fabric.
Minimum rating you need to seek is at least 600D, anything more than this would be indeed stronger. You can look for Polyester or Nylon fabrics, but most tear-resistant fabric you might find in some high-end cots would be ‘Ripstop’.
Look for a frame that is made from heavy-duty gauge material, instead of thin metal tubing. The joints and finishing on the frame also designates the quality of the Camping cot. Make sure to choose the frame that is easy to fold and unfold.
Camping cots that come with certain accessories are always welcomed. See if the camping cot comes with worthwhile accessories like Carrying bag, a side table, netting for mosquitoes, storage pockets, etc.
Before making the decision of purchase, always check the folded dimensions of the cot. Or else, you will get stuck with a gear that does not fit in your car trunk or is too bulky to carry around.
In-Depth Reviews of Top 5 Best Camping Cots for 2017:
# 1.TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot
Featuring the Patented design of ‘S’ shaped legs made from steel, the TETON Sports Camping Cot Outfitter XXL is pretty heavy-duty and sturdy equipment, which is much rooted-for during hunting and camping.
The frame is made from extruded aluminum, whereas the top surface is made from highly durable 600D Poly Canvas material.
When paired with an optional XXL Camping pad, it might be one of most comfortable camping cots to utilize not just for outdoors, but for indoors as well.
Best thing about TETON Camping cot is that it folds down compactly for easy portability and also comes with a Carrying bag. The large sleeping area is deliberately crafted to handle about 600 pounds of maximum user weight.
The cot, as a whole, measures up to 85” x 40” x 19”. And, gets even better when folded, it just measures about 42”x 12”x 7”. A major pro about this product is that it has been backed with Lifetime Limited warranty period.
- Rubber feet protects the tent floor
- Folds down compactly and can be shoved into a drawstring carrying bag
- Compatible with all of the other products by TETON Sports
- 600 pounds of user weight capacity
- Strong and heavy-duty construction
- Patented steel S-shaped legs makes folding much easier
- Highly durable rubber bushings
- Does not wobble
- Large sleeping area, Twin size
- Might sag after a while
- Might be too high; Not suitable for small tents
- Too heavy
#2.Coleman 2000020271 ComfortSmart Cot
With spring coil suspension and thick cozy foam mattress, the Coleman ComfortSmart Cot provides you with extreme comfort and better supporting platform.
Its heavy-duty construction features steel frame, which can support about 275 pounds of user weight.
When unfolded, this Camping cot measures up to 69” x 25” x 15”, which is optimal to accommodate users up to 5’7” of height.
Coleman ComfortSmart Cot can be folded up in half to fit compactly in most of the car trunks. The folded dimensions are about 34.3” x 25.4” x 5.5”. Moreover, it has been backed with 1 year of Limited Warranty period.
- Extremely easy to set up
- Lightweight design
- Does not eat up much space when folded
- Made from high-quality materials
- Not too high, perfect for camping
- Quite durable and sturdy
- Cot needs to be placed on a leveled ground, or else the mattress might slide around
- Springs might wear off after some time
- Some of you might find the mattress to be uncomfortable (thin and short)
#3. Coleman 2000020273 80 x 32-Inches Pack-Away Cot
Versatile in nature, yet again another Pack-away Cot by Coleman features a Removable Side table that has been incorporated with a cup holder and enough space to place your snacks, magazines or other items.
The sleeping space is fairly roomy and wide to easily fit in users with 6’6” of height. This sleeping area measures up to 80” x 32”, which is why we can say it is one of the best camping cots.
Heavy-duty steel frame is aimed to provide much support and endurance to use while camping as well as for indoors. The strong polyester material on the top can handle about 300 pounds of user weight. The overall size of this Pack-away cot is about 80” x 44” x 17”. As a pro, the product also carries 1 year of limited warranty period. You need not worry about the transportation, as this Cot efficiently folds down into a compact carrying bag.
- Extremely comfortable to sleep
- Detachable Side Table really comes handy
- Folds down compactly
- Easy to install
- Provides a very sturdy platform; Heavy-duty frame
- Might make noises every time you shift sides
- Tends to collapse; Needs efforts to get it completely flat
- Too heavy; Not recommended for Backpacking (Good for Car camping)
#4. Coleman Comfortsmart Deluxe Cot
Now this ComfortSmart Deluxe Cot from Coleman offers extreme comfort, thanks to its thick foam sleeping mattress and spring coil suspension system that mimics your bed very well.
Its solid construction and steel-made frame can capably handle a person with 300 pounds of weight.
As regards to its length, this Deluxe Cot can accommodate a user that is as heighted as 6’6”. All in all, when unfolded, the cot measures up to 30” x 80” x 15”. Now, you might think such durable camping gear might be heavy, but it just weights about 19.4 pounds which is pretty lightweight. Plus, it folds down to 39.6” x 30.7” x 5.5” to easily be shoved up in your car trunks
- Very light in weight
- Set up process takes minimal time
- Comes with sleeping mattress
- 1 year warranty period
- Sturdy and durable steel frame
- Fabric seems to be of poor quality
- Some of you might feel that the mattress to be too thin and painful for your back
- When folded, it might seem bulkier than other cots
Video from youtube :Coleman Comfortsmart Deluxe Cot
#5. Easy Cot, Portable Folding Cot by Byer of Maine
Boasting a very sleek and clean look, the Folding Cot by Byer of Maine is optimal to maneuver around for camping, travelling as well as indoor use.
It features strong welded legs made from steel, while the uppermost 600D Polyester fabric can hold up to 330 pounds of maximum user weight.
With 78” of full length, it can accommodate tall users adroitly, whereas the 31” width by 18” height is fairly spacious for most of you.
Best thing about this cot is that, it takes just about 1 minute for complete installation, without any loose parts coming off. Besides, it also comes with a Carrying bag to maneuver the folded cot around easily.
- 600D Polyester fabric
- Multiple reinforcements to secure the fabric
- Welded steel legs provide firm support
- Can be used outdoors as well as indoors
- 330 pounds of user weight capacity
- Pops right open for easy installation
- Heavy: Weighs up to 21 pounds, Not recommended for long distance carrying
- No cross-bar support for your upper body
Which One Should You Buy?
Even though the ‘Value for money’ factor is really vital to consider, but in this case, I would say that the most high-priced one from the list- TETON Sports Camping Cot Outfitter XXL is the most comfortable camping cots available in the market.
The exclusive patented design used in the leg assembly, as well as, its heavy-duty craftsmanship will certainly deliver enhanced endurance and longevity over long-term use.
In addition, its ability to accommodate 2 people at a time just compensates for the expensive price tag that it carries! And, a huge bonus point is that it comes with Limited Lifetime Warranty, which is lacking in all of the other products mentioned above!
February 12, 2018
February 4, 2018
January 22, 2018
January 17, 2018